DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs

More
12 Jul 2012 23:54 #72911 by tgold
Replied by tgold on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
I found using Netgear DG834Gv4 or DG834GT as bridged modems (both have Broadcom chipsets) was a cheap and easy way to enjoy Be Broadband with Draytek routers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mrjolly
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jul 2012 07:25 #72915 by mrjolly
Replied by mrjolly on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
@davidmatthewson

I was hopeful you'd had the same issue as me. It really is a shame as you can normally rely on Draytek kit. I hope you do find some resolution albeit a refund. I'm convinced these routers just need a certain type of line to work and it's just pot luck.

@WMoney, tgold

I think if any of us wanted to bridge a modem with the router we'd not have chosen a router with modems built-in. Whilst I know the bridge worked the last thing I want is yet more power bricks, wires and boxes. My router is in the living room mounted on the wall next to the master socket. I'd certainly prefer a set-up where I have a decent router and separate modem but it's simply not practical. Fortunately Draytek were able to fix my particular issue.

For me though, it's a mute point now as I have FTTC being installed next Friday. I will use the BT supplied modem into the PPPoE WAN port during the first couple of weeks just to be sure the line is stable and OK. After that I hope to be able to dump that and go right into the VDSL port of the 2850n. Sorry to go all religious but God help them if the VDSL modem on the 2850n doesn't work!

As a further point I think Be Broadband have switched me back to a standard profile since putting in the cancellation notice because I'm starting to get quite number of line drops (from built up Rx CRC errors) now although not as frequent as before. I do believe there is mileage in talking to your ISP too in adjusting your line profile to help compatibility with the Draytek's chipset.

More
13 Jul 2012 15:52 #72920 by wamoney
Replied by wamoney on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
I will be very interested to see how your FTTC works out - I see Sky are now offering the fibre network using the (BT) Openreach offering in my area from today. I will certainly switch across at some point just don't wish to be the "bleeding" edge with issues. I have used Draytek since their 2200 USB offering up through 2400 2600 2900 and the 2850 so really would like to think they will get this one right. Good Luck.

• mrjolly
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jul 2012 16:27 #72922 by mrjolly
I most certainly will let you know. I'm not expecting a smooth ride but always one to jump in head first!

I too still have my trusty 2200USB in a box, didn't skip a beat that thing. I guess it is teething problems but I'm slightly concerned if it turns out to be hardware issues.

More
20 Jul 2012 16:18 #72992 by austengreen
Replied by austengreen on topic Re: Vigor2850n BeThere ISP Drop outs
After enjoying my 2820n for about 5 years with BE as my ISP (such a great bit of kit :D ) I upgraded to a 2850n to use some of the newer features .... Oh how I had wished I read this forum first! :| My less than a month old 2850n is being returned to Draytek after 4 attempts with firmware and today trying to upload some 'special' firmware via a TFTP client. Looks like I am suffering from the same issue as many of you (drop outs) I think I have spent 2 weeks on the phone to various technical guys at Draytek. Its a real shame as the 2820n was a joy to use.

Back to my 2820n until the RMA comes back....

Has anyone managed to get the 2850n working with standard ADSL2+ ?

• mrjolly
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jul 2012 15:56 #73010 by mrjolly
@austingreen

After my 2850n came back from Draytek RMA it certainly did keep a connection without dropping. BE had switched me onto the SP20 profile (I just raised a ticket and explained the situation) and I think that had a lot to do with keeping the line up too. However once I put in my cease order (I'm now on FTTC) I believe they switched me back to a standard line profile as within a few hours I could not longer keep my line up using the 2850n and had to go back into bridged mode with an old modem.

Once you get your kit back from RMA if you still can't hold a steady connection I would suggest you get onto BE for this change in line profile and see how that goes. I'm sure they'll get it switched very quickly if you put a ticket in.

@WAMoney

My line is still settling on FTTC so I'm loath to plug it into the 2850n yet but will let you know as soon as I do and provide configuration information if I have to mess about (I've heard you need to set the VLAN tag for VDSL etc).

Moderators: Sami