DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2750n Slow Upload Speed

More
01 Oct 2013 22:25 #77827 by kriswragg
Replied by kriswragg on topic Re: Vigor 2750n Slow Upload Speed
I've been playing my modem a bit lately and I found a few things that have made quite a difference to the upload speeds.

Bandwidth Management >> Port Rate Control
In here I checked both policer's and set download to 100mbit and upload to 25mbit. (My line is actually syncing at 78/19 but setting it to this throttled the speed more than 100/25)

Bandwidth Management >> Ports Priority
I set the WAN QCL# to 2 which has no policies, and set Queuing Mode to Strict Mode.

I think the root of the problem for the upload problems is actually the QoS that is being applied. I cannot find how to switch it off totally so its just FIFO but changing the settings as above has made a big change although still not as good as the OpenReach modem.

I tested with SpeedTest.net and my upload went from about 11mbit to 16.8mbit with those changes above and upload traffic seems a lot better in general although still not perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• suprawez
  • Topic Author
More
02 Oct 2013 10:14 #77832 by suprawez
Replied by suprawez on topic Re: Vigor 2750n Slow Upload Speed
Draytek gave us a full refund for our 2750n devices as they were unable to provide a solution, the 2750n is now no longer available and has been replaced by a new model.

We purchased an alternative make / model as we needed a quick solution, luckily they worked from the moment they were connected.

Its a shame the Draytek unit didnt work as expected as they had real potential.

Draytek 2750n on Zen Broadband

More
02 Oct 2013 17:14 #77841 by kriswragg
Just played with the settings a bit more and changed the upload policer to 20mbit and did a speedtest that gave me 17.29mbit which is about on par with the OpenReach modem. I definitely think the speed problem lies with the QoS stuff and the policers as enabling the policers and tweaking the values and setting the QoS stuff to an empty profile makes a huge difference to the upload speeds.

• suprawez
  • Topic Author
More
02 Oct 2013 17:22 #77842 by suprawez

kriswragg wrote: Just played with the settings a bit more and changed the upload policer to 20mbit and did a speedtest that gave me 17.29mbit which is about on par with the OpenReach modem. I definitely think the speed problem lies with the QoS stuff and the policers as enabling the policers and tweaking the values and setting the QoS stuff to an empty profile makes a huge difference to the upload speeds.

You would have hoped if that was the case that Draytek support would have identified the issue and released either a doc explaining or a firmware update to fix the issue ;)

FYI on the units we had here the various QOS settings were tried and only made it worse.

More
02 Oct 2013 19:39 #77843 by kriswragg

SupraWez wrote: You would have hoped if that was the case that Draytek support would have identified the issue and released either a doc explaining or a firmware update to fix the issue ;)

FYI on the units we had here the various QOS settings were tried and only made it worse.

I tried quite a few things and quite a lot made it worse, for example if you set the policer values too high it makes the connection slower which makes no sense. For example if I set the upload to 100mbit it drops my speed down to about 6mbit, it seems you need to finely tune it to the right value for your line which is trial and error with a speedtest site and doing multiple runs to get an average.

• suprawez
  • Topic Author
More
02 Oct 2013 20:10 #77845 by suprawez

kriswragg wrote:
I tried quite a few things and quite a lot made it worse, for example if you set the policer values too high it makes the connection slower which makes no sense. For example if I set the upload to 100mbit it drops my speed down to about 6mbit, it seems you need to finely tune it to the right value for your line which is trial and error with a speedtest site and doing multiple runs to get an average.

Sounds like a bug, have you reported it to Draytek support, they may be able to fix it with a firmware release, sadly I am no longer in a position to assist as we returned our Draytek units.

Moderators: Sami