DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DRAYTEK 2850VN

• boe323
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jun 2012 08:05 #72428 by boe323
DRAYTEK 2850VN was created by boe323
Hi, just a heads up, the 2850 on bt infinity syncs around 8/10meg less than the cheap echolife vdsl modem, the sync goes for upstream and downstream, both are around 8/10meg slower, and the downstream attainable rate is always exactly the actual rate, so theres never any over head, with the echolife i can sync at 50meg with an attainable download rate of 55meg, on the draytek i sync at 42meg with attainable download rate of 42meg, this probably could be cured if you can manually adjust the snr margin that set in the modem/router, if it can be done how do you do it, whats the commands to adjust the snr, and is there any commands to adjust the delay, my delay as gone from 0 to 8.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2012 12:50 #72433 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN
I don't have an answer to your question but I can confirm the same thing. I see about a 10% hit in throughput on my 2850n when compared to using the supplied BT Openreach Modem.

If I go back to using the BT modem plugged into WAN2, back up to full speed.

More
04 Jun 2012 17:18 #72437 by dcrobinson1965
Replied by dcrobinson1965 on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN
Mine won't sync at all. Did you guys have to do anything special to make it work?
Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but if I could at least get mine to get past the "Training" state, I'm sure I could contribute meaningfully :-)

• boe323
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jun 2012 20:27 #72438 by boe323
Replied by boe323 on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN
Make sure sure you have your vlan tag enabled and set it 101, if your on bt use your supplied email and user name
@btinternet.com, turn off auto and use vdsl only, it should sync straight up, but be warned, the errors that come withit and 10% speed loss isnt worth it, use the bt modem and connect it the same way you would the hhb3, i learnt my mistake the hardway, it caused that many errors that the dlm turned on interleave and made it very aggresive, my pings like 30/40, adsl2+ i used to have 5ping, when i started infinity it was 5, but didnt last long, reall y need some new firmware, or we need a new version draytek with a better chipset.

• boe323
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jun 2012 20:39 #72439 by boe323
Replied by boe323 on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN
Actually ive just read that the 2850 as got adjustable snr for vdsl2 so what are the commands for it, i really want to give this router another chance because of the money i spent on it, why can a cheap opensource modem out perform an expensive draytek business modem/router, if anyone from draytek is reading this can you explain to me why your router is syncing less and causing more errors than a cheap router with higher sync speeds,if anything the higher sync speeds should have more errors.

More
05 Jun 2012 08:26 #72444 by dcrobinson1965
Replied by dcrobinson1965 on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN

boe323 wrote: Make sure sure you have your vlan tag enabled and set it 101, if your on bt use your supplied email and user name

@btinternet.com, turn off auto and use vdsl only, it should sync straight up, but be warned, the errors that come withit and 10% speed loss isnt worth it, use the bt modem and connect it the same way you would the hhb3, i learnt my mistake the hardway, it caused that many errors that the dlm turned on interleave and made it very aggresive, my pings like 30/40, adsl2+ i used to have 5ping, when i started infinity it was 5, but didnt last long, reall y need some new firmware, or we need a new version draytek with a better chipset.

Yep, got my VLAN tag set. My ISP is Zen Internet, not BT, but in any case that's the PPPoE bit, which occurs after the sync (and I've got the right username/password), I believe?
I've also tried setting the profile explicitly to 17a, but that doesn't make any difference either.
According to a review I found on PC Advisor's website, there's a new firmware shortly to be available, which gives the same sync speeds as the Openreach modem, so I'll give that a try when it hits the streets.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/network-wifi/3359231/draytek-vigor-2850vn-review/

Moderators: Sami