DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DRAYTEK 2850VN

More
09 Jun 2012 10:35 #72506 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN
I've been working with UK support on this and I've made a bit of progress. I now have downstream with the same throughput as the BT modem and upstream with a good improvement.....but still not quite as quick at the open reach modem.

Here's what they asked me to change:

Telnet into the router and run the following commands:

adsl txpct 100
adsl rxpct 100
adsl reboot

This should free up the routers own bandwidth reservations (command is
relevant to ADSL but should also help with VDSL).

Via the web GUI, disable QOS. By default, its set to reserve 25% of bandwidth. It should say Disabled in the Status column next to whatever WAN ports you're using.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• boe323
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jun 2012 22:34 #72511 by boe323
Replied by boe323 on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN
Great, i shall try these sometime, at the moment, i just switched over from hhb3 typeb to a hhb3 typeA and got another 5meg download speed lol, modem didnt resync, i got the extra 5meg just by switching the hub over, so i think the 2850vn is going to find a hardtime trying to compare itself to yet another 5meg, but i will try them sometime, ill write them down for future use, does anyone know the snr and inp commands on the 2850, nearly every website ive looked at that shows the specs for the 2850 say its got configurable snr and inp, but when i list the commands in telnet theres nothing that says snr or inp so i dont know how to configure them, someone must know, the 2850 will definately be worth using over the bt openreach modem if i can configure the snr and inp, nothing will be able to touch it speedwise then, you could sync at the absolute max just before you become unstable, you could probably go from a 45meg sync to around 60 or more if you can get the router stable at low snr margin. ANNEX B is another country right? i dont even think it would sync. ANNEX B is 110volts , i think you are pulling peoples plonkers here.

More
10 Jun 2012 08:02 #72512 by weehappypixie
Replied by weehappypixie on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN
Hi,

Isn't Annex A PSTN and Annex B ISDN.

John

More
10 Jun 2012 09:28 #72513 by dcrobinson1965
Replied by dcrobinson1965 on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN

boe323 wrote: let me know if the version you have syncs the same as bt openreach modem, if it does post the link and ill give it a try.

I don't know what my Openreach modem was syncing at, but I was getting the "full speed" thing according to BT.
With 3.6.2 RC4 I am now syncing at 20000 up, 79984 down, with SNRs of 129 and 111 respectively, which is huge improvement over not syncing at all!

That's the good news. Using the unscientific speedtest.net and a variety of servers, with the Openreach modem I was seeing a peak of just over 75mbps down and 17.5mbps up. With the Draytek and this firmware, I'm getting comparable down (~73 mbps), but the best I've managed on about 10 speedtests, with a variety of servers, is 11.5mbps up. This is of course unscientific, but you'd expect 9:15 on a Sunday morning to be fairly quiet, traffic-wise, wouldn't you? I'll give it a go at various times over the next day or so, and report back.

BTW, I've turned off the QoS overhead thing, as suggested above, although with ADSL in the past I found that this setting was irrelevant unless QoS was turned on.

Feel free to try the file sent to me by Draytek. It'll be here for the next few days: http://www.36arn.co.uk/362rc4.all but use at your own risk, of course.

• boe323
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jun 2012 17:56 #72522 by boe323
Yeah , i read that annex B uses 110v on the port, i would imagine that the 2850 can support either annex A or annex B, as i assume its the exact same router model that ships to different countries, and yes i can confirm that the bt openreach modem is annex B, so the new fttc must be isdn, which would then indicate that that guy is right to change your firmware so sorry dude, this could be the reason why our routers dont sync the same as bt openreach modem, i wopuld love to get some feedback on this thread from someone who as tried the annex B firmware, why asnt draytek support told anyone that we need annex B if the bt openreach modem is annex B, or, maybe the vdsl2 firmware is annex B anyway, and the annexA/annexB firmware choice only affects adsl?, we need more information. JUst need to update this, i asked an engineer about annex A and B, and as far as hes aware were are annex and he cant ever see it changing and doesnt know why the bt modem says annex B in its status.

• boe323
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jun 2012 18:07 #72523 by boe323

dcrobinson1965 wrote:

boe323 wrote: let me know if the version you have syncs the same as bt openreach modem, if it does post the link and ill give it a try.

I don't know what my Openreach modem was syncing at, but I was getting the "full speed" thing according to BT.
With 3.6.2 RC4 I am now syncing at 20000 up, 79984 down, with SNRs of 129 and 111 respectively, which is huge improvement over not syncing at all!

That's the good news. Using the unscientific speedtest.net and a variety of servers, with the Openreach modem I was seeing a peak of just over 75mbps down and 17.5mbps up. With the Draytek and this firmware, I'm getting comparable down (~73 mbps), but the best I've managed on about 10 speedtests, with a variety of servers, is 11.5mbps up. This is of course unscientific, but you'd expect 9:15 on a Sunday morning to be fairly quiet, traffic-wise, wouldn't you? I'll give it a go at various times over the next day or so, and report back.

BTW, I've turned off the QoS overhead thing, as suggested above, although with ADSL in the past I found that this setting was irrelevant unless QoS was turned on.

Feel free to try the file sent to me by Draytek. It'll be here for the next few days: http://www.36arn.co.uk/362rc4.all but use at your own risk, of course.

Ok ill download this, in QOS, thers a couple of active settings, these are the ones you need to make inactive, just enter each one and disable, but stats seem about right, 10%ish loss.

Moderators: Sami