DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DRAYTEK 2850VN

• boe323
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2012 00:11 #72558 by boe323
Replied by boe323 on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN
sorry for that, i just explained how to install telnet just incase some people are wondering why its non existent in command prompt, i did when i first installed windows 7 lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2012 08:15 #72561 by dcrobinson1965
Replied by dcrobinson1965 on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN

cocospm wrote: I'm on the 40/10 FTTC with PlusNet, and with the 3.6.2_232201 Annex A firmware my 2850n performs about 20% lower upstream on typical throughput speed tests (e.g. mybroadbandspeed.net) than the Openreach modem does. Download speeds are only slightly lower with the 2850n vs. the Openreach modem.

With the standard 3.6.2_2111112 Annex B firmware, my 2850n upload throughput is only about 3 to 4% lower than the Openreach.

In all cases, VDSL sync speeds (actual data rate) are identical on the 17a VDSL profile.

DrayTek 2nd line support have had a poke around my settings, and can't find anything wrong, and I've done some more scientific-ish tests.

On WAN1, Speedtest.net has never reported more than 12.5mbps upload (usually less), whereas on WAN2 it reports ~17.5mpbs. However, on WAN1 I can upload to an FTP server at 2MB/s (i.e. 16mbps, which is a lot more than 12.5). I can get 17.4 mbps out of WAN2 using the same test.

Overall, my tests seem to indicate that WAN1 is probably slower than WAN2 (but by under 10%, I suspect), but nowhere near the discrepancy indicated by Speedtest.net. My guess would be that it's something related to packet size or buffering (does Speedtest.net use UDP, maybe?)

UPDATE 15/06/2012: DrayTek UK reckon that there probably is a firmware issue, and have forwarded all my data to their R&D department.

• boe323
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jun 2012 00:07 #72627 by boe323
im looking forward to hereing more, keep me posted, ive re connected my draytek, ive gone from 49meg download to 45, and i dont know wahts happened to my upload, an engineer apparantly reset the cab and since then i can bearly get 8meg upload on bt modem, which means i can just make 4.5 meg upload on the draytek even though it synced at 8meg. My draytek just will not sync the same rate and never reports the true attainable rate, its always identical to actual rate, but the bt modem says my attainable rate is 60meg, there is def a problem, or, bt have pushed somekind of virus on the line to detect whether its there equipment or 3rd party equipment which sounds more likely to be the case. so when it sees that its not bt equipment it lowers the sync to make you beleive that there equipment is superior.

More
18 Jun 2012 03:37 #72633 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN

boe323 wrote: bt have pushed somekind of virus on the line to detect whether its there equipment or 3rd party equipment which sounds more likely to be the case. so when it sees that its not bt equipment it lowers the sync to make you beleive that there equipment is superior.

sorry double post ...below is again

More
18 Jun 2012 03:40 #72634 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: DRAYTEK 2850VN

babis3g wrote:

boe323 wrote: bt have pushed somekind of virus on the line to detect whether its there equipment or 3rd party equipment which sounds more likely to be the case. so when it sees that its not bt equipment it lowers the sync to make you beleive that there equipment is superior.

hmmmm i was thinking may be something stops the synchronisation... probably a command....don't forget the dsl is monitoring the connection and reacts dependently
it make sense as they only really allow you to use BT modem
i see few having issues but draytek vdsl modems in general can not be so outdated
i mean i understand if someone is far from cab and speeds going down due to different chip-pest of modem and cabinet etc but close to cab perhaps no matter what modem is, should be ok or at least not much lower speeds

• boe323
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jun 2012 18:44 #72646 by boe323
I forgot to mention that on the first day i had bt infinity2 turned on and master socket changed, my draytek 2850vn was near on perfect, it synced at 50 down, 14 up, i got 12meg up on the speed test and 48meg down on speed test, only a few days later this low sync business started happenening, my draytek wont go above 45, and as for upload, that really is bad, i still think im right about thecab detecting 3rd party and lowing sync on purpose.

Moderators: Sami