DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2860N Line Drops

More
01 Nov 2014 19:33 #81600 by takeo_ischi
Replied by takeo_ischi on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
It wouldn't be the first time the OR modem was the cause of a problem:

https://aastatus.net/1854

Are you using the Huawei or the Israeli OR modem, out of interest?

Also, I assume you're using the OR modem because you already have a VDSL line connected directly to the 2860N?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2014 20:07 #81601 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
but the issue with the OR modem is been resolved, seems long time ago ... unless the OP has an older hacked firmware?

More
02 Nov 2014 20:02 #81617 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
Looking below link the helpful article about how DLM works, "When does DLM make changes to my line?" ... the dlm trying to find stable line early mornings
Perhaps if you did used the 2860 as vdsl modem or turn it on/off many times during the settings, that s why you getting about early morning/overnight disconnections at wan 2, must be the OR modem trying to find a stable connection again
It should stop doing this soon (so nothing wrong with wan 2) if my theory is correct
http://
community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
join the lines it see it as spam

• kiman2000
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2014 17:09 #81711 by kiman2000
Replied by kiman2000 on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
Many thanks for the replies. Fingers crossed may be resolved

I had suspicions about the quality of the BT drop line wire before I took a fibre service. It was an old 1970s 2 core 1mm diam with solid plastic surround (not shielded). The piece that I could see looked perished but not exposing copper. Even before I switch from ADSL to VDSL, I called around to gauge both SALES and CUSTOMER SUPPORT on what would happen IF this was going to be a problem:

BT Broadband - Indian call centre - didn't even know what a Drop Line "it would never be a problem"
Plus Net - "would not be a problem"... "would have to rely on BT (Openreach or others) to check the line" .. "never seen it before"
Virgin - didn't know what a drop wire was - "would not be a problem"
Zen - "we'll get it sorted if it is a problem"

guess what!

I went with Zen and it was the cable. I had to get very very pushy with Zen customer service to get the issue escalated to a serious issue but once their team (got) kicked into action properly, over two weeks, 2 BT engineers, 1st replacing face plate OR2 (the original installation eng had on an OR1), corrected a poorly installed junction box, and replaced the OR modem. The second actually believe me and checked the cable as well as replacing the face plate again OR3.

The cable was so badly corroded only rust was holding it together - plastic perished rusting copper beneath. This SHOULD NOT have passed their resistance test. For both engs' all tests came back as perfect... perfect shielding, RF noise, SN... everything... this SHOULD NOT in theory have been possible on a cable that disintegrated in his hand (literally - about a 2 inch break).

So as suspected BEFORE taking out a fibre service, and show by dropped lines during bad weather, the drop cable was faulty.

On this BT engs recom., not using the OR modem.. using 2860n+'s. On Draytek's recom. using Standard (not vectoring) f/w 3.7.4.3

The Syslog ==> arrows point toward the receiving device.

1) OR Modem to Draytek WAN2 (EchoRequest )
...Vigor: WAN2 PPPoE <== Protocol:LCP(c021) EchoReq Identifier:0x84Magic Number: 0x2254 c6 35 ##

2) Draytek replies.
...Vigor: WAN2 PPPoE ==> Protocol:LCP(c021) EchoRep Identifier:0x84Magic Number: 0x0 00 00 ##

3)OR Modem lost sync and no longer asked for EchoRequest, Draytek asked "where are you"?
...Vigor: WAN2 PPPoE ==> Protocol:LCP(c021) EchoReq Identifier:0x13Magic Number: 0x0 00 00 ##
...Vigor: WAN2 PPPoE ==> Protocol:LCP(c021) EchoReq Identifier:0x14Magic Number: 0x0 00 00 ##

4) No reply...
...Vigor: PPP Closed : No Echo Response ()

5) Draytek... "well I'm going to drop the PPP then"
...Vigor: WAN2 PPPoE ==> Protocol:LCP(c021) TermReq Identifier:0x15 ##

Many thanks to all that helped. fingers crossed.

P.S. don't put the 2860n+ on a filing cabinet. Metal in the runners and folder holders kills the WiFi quality (but that's another story)!

More
10 Nov 2014 17:48 #81712 by marjohn56
Replied by marjohn56 on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
Glad you have it sorted, hopefully.

Interestingly I had the OR engineer in last week as well, put his meter on the line and said it's gettings a massive amount of errors. Checked the Mk3 plate, brand new as I'd fitted it only a few days before, checked the cable - all good. Scratched his head and said 'I'm going to replace the back box, there have been reported issues with these screw terminals, although I've not had a problem'. Changed the box put his meter on and the errors were down by 80%. He left looking perplexed as there was nothing visibly wrong with the unit he had taken out.

When I asked about putting the 2860 on he just said give it a few days on the OR modem as he had just reset the DLM, if it's steady then put the Draytek on. I am running the vector firmware as the 3.7.4.3 UK firmware does not report status correctly, and I, at present am keeping an eye on the stats. Seventy two hours have now passed and all is stable, if just a tad slower than the OR modem.

Regards,

• kiman2000
  • Topic Author
More
11 Nov 2014 10:25 #81713 by kiman2000
Replied by kiman2000 on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
I think you are right about the OR modem... at 4am I noticed a drop and invesitgated... it was a DLM re-grade and it increased pings from 20ms to 40ms and dropped my line speed for 68Mb to 55Mb.... If I put the OR modem back in - do you think it will go back up?? I have heard it takes 3 days from DLM to settle?

Moderators: Sami