DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2860N Line Drops

More
11 Nov 2014 21:37 #81729 by marjohn56
Replied by marjohn56 on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
:D hmm.

I turned off the G.Vector tonight to see what happens, immediate effect was a further increase in sync speed! However I am now showing a few crc errors, still solid though, no dropped connections.

I'll talk to you in the ASUS forums about the ASUS. I had seen you were there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2014 22:31 #81731 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
in the worst case due to more errors the dlm may start kicking again after few hrs or days, i think this is the main reason most 3rd part modems having issue ... but of course worth to try

This dlm is not good, when had vdsl back in UK, with the OR modem, gone away just for 4 days, so turned off ... when back and turned on ... speed was dropped from 38 to 32 and ping from 16 to 40
Maybe experts should find a way to cheat the dlm for reporting to it no errors (even if there are) so will not take action :roll:

• kiman2000
  • Topic Author
More
17 Nov 2014 13:09 #81822 by kiman2000
Replied by kiman2000 on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
Update... put pressure on Zen since DLM should NOT have been done by the engineer. From what I have read and understand - sometime, maybe always, DLM will look BACKWARD not FORWARDS in time for its first profile regrade. That is STUPID since it then saw the hours of disconnect and on-off reconnects by the BT engineer, so it lowered by profile from 80/20-28ms to 60/10-48ms. Zen told me that it would require an engineer to make a (chargeable) visit to reset the line... STUPID since he did it on his mobile phone in the first place!!!... I refused to pay for the engineer and eventually Zen cracked the whip on BT's back* and they cleared the DLM profile off the line.

So I'm now back at a stable 80/20-28ms. Fingers and toes are all crossed (both mine and Zen's support team) that BT's DLM does not kick back in.

Final solution... was the first suggested solution even before taking VDSL subscription... replace the old and naff BT Drop Line!
Now using:

~500m from cabinet
0.9mm Drop Line
NTE5 Faceplate MR3
OR Modem (factory reset) B-Focus v2-revB
2860n+ 3.7.4.3 Standard RST (not Vectoring)
UPnP OFF
DoS OFF

marjohn56... your issue sounds like UPnP & DoS... check that they are off.
I personally avoided Asus since a supposedly got hacked if you believe anything you read on the internet:
http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/22365/hacking/asus-router-users-still-vulnerale-remote-hacking.html

I hope that Draytek is a little more resilient than off the shelf domestic tech - we'll see.

More
17 Nov 2014 14:27 #81823 by marjohn56
Replied by marjohn56 on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
Interesting...

The Asus has now been demoted to just being an access point at the back of the house replacing an old Netgear, expensive I know. Should the 2860 fail at some time it's also spare VDSL router, along with the OR modem. :)

Glad you are sorted. I am pleased to say that things are pretty good here too. I am running a beta that babis3g pointed me at and it's running happily with no issues so far. UPnP is on, so is DoS and i've not had any problems.

The DLM has either given up or is quite happy with life, as on Saturday I gave it a bit of a hammering with the Asus and new firmware for the 2860, it has not reacted so far. Dl Sync is over 68Mbps, 7 or so Mbps faster the the OR modem and UL is capped at the normal 20Mbps.

If it all stays this way I'll be quite happy.

More
18 Nov 2014 01:23 #81835 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
personal not worrying for hackers, now days if they want go into your pc they will do it
I am not saying to defend asus or draytek that is coming with fix for open SSL 3.0
How many years was the problem with SSL & just find it now, i bet something else will come soon
of course the less option is better but If they want to hack they will find another way

• kiman2000
  • Topic Author
More
20 Nov 2014 00:27 #81868 by kiman2000
Replied by kiman2000 on topic Re: Draytek 2860N Line Drops
Agreed.. I just prefer to not be on the same system that the "majority" of the public are on! But that is definitely another thread!

Great to see everyone is getting some stability now... will keep hands off for another 2 weeks until DLM cycle 'should' be over ... been quoted 10 Working days by zen... as they say... "if it ain't broke! "

Moderators: Sami