Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850n constantly rebooting

• gatecrasher3
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jan 2012 22:15 #70965 by gatecrasher3
2850n constantly rebooting was created by gatecrasher3
Hi all

Sorry that my first forum post is a request for help.

I took delivery of a Vigor 2850n today for use on my BT ADSL line. Got it all set up and running, however the longest it has managed to stay up for in a little over six minutes. For some reason the whole unit is restarting intermittently and for no reason that I am aware of. You can hear the click of the relay followed by the loss of connection. I appreciate that if there is a fault I will be able to arrange for an exchange but I just want to check that it is not a setting I am missing or a known issue.

I have checked and the installed firmware is the latest on the UK site and although there is a newer version on draytek.com it is not clear to me which variant I would need.

Any help much appreciated.

Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2012 07:15 #70966 by wildoat
Replied by wildoat on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
I am using latest firmware 3.6.0 from main Draytek website and using this version: Vigor2850_v3.6.0_A_232201.zip (Annex A for modem code 232201 (recommended for UK-SEG only)). I would try it and see if it improves. Saying that I have a seperate post referring to this firmware: http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16846 where I indicate that I get a reboot circa every day but sounds better than every 6 minutes!!

W

• gatecrasher3
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2012 08:24 #70967 by gatecrasher3
Replied by gatecrasher3 on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
Thanks for your reply. At least it seems that it is not a parameter or setting that I have over looked.

More
29 Mar 2012 22:01 #71736 by timw
Replied by timw on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
Gatecrasher3, did you sort out the rebooting?

I took delivery of 2850n today and must have seen literally 30 reboots in half a day, mainly whilst editing settings but also during normal usage. Once it even did a factory reset on its own! Its been up for 2 hours now but I have to say it doesn't fill me with confidence. Rebooting occurrs on 3.6.0 and 3.6.1 firmware.

More
09 Apr 2012 11:46 #71825 by piki
Replied by piki on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
Did anyone get any where with this? I have this problem once or twice a day, which 50% of the time is a factory reset (I have managed to keep it stable enough to back up the config). I also saw the other post about this and wouldnt be so frustrated if it didn't do the factory reset so often.

It seemed to coincide with me using the USB port - I am still fighting with BT ( see my earlier post http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17006 ) to try and get the BB working and so started using a USB stick to capture the syslogs so I could show them the connection was dropping for up to 7 hours a day, however after about 5 days of capturing the logs the router wouldn't see the usb stick and on when the stick was removed it did the first factory reset (may just be a coincidence). Subsequently I put the USB back in but it wont recognise the stick and quite often it seems to cause the router to reboot and often do a complete factory reset. The stick works fine when plugged into a PC. I am trying different USB sticks as I write this.

Does anyone have any advice? there do seem to be a lot of coincidences for me with this router - I am not in the best of moods as I haven't had BB for 5 weeks, and the new router playing up is not helping with my conversations with BT (so may have to go back to the BTBusiness Router at this rate)

More
11 Apr 2012 07:55 #71839 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
My first post but I m glad to see I m not alone with this issue. I have had a 2850vn since the beginning of the year it was on 3.36 firmware I believe and when I updated to the 3.6 versions my problems started, I am also on BT ADSL and I suffered constant reboots, I have had BT to my property twice to completely reconfigure the line into my house. I have already sent the router back to DrayTek bought a 2850n as a back up (this now is suffering the same issues. I have the same USB issue as posted before.
I don't seem to get to far with support from DrayTek on this as I expect its just a small number of us that use these routers on ADSL connections.

Come on DrayTek help us out!!

Moderators: Sami