DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850n constantly rebooting

More
17 Jul 2012 22:56 #72970 by gobby
Replied by gobby on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
Hi, any chance of sharing the Firmware? I have the exact same issue on a clients router. i have had BT out numerous times, Zen are sick of hearing from me and when I speak to Draytek I get told that there are no issues with the 2850n. Not impressed. I've always found Drayteks very stable and have used them since the 2200 came out.

I've almost lost my client due to this problem. The disconnections are completely random and can be anywhere from 5 minutes between drops to hours, I got over 24 hours the other day, then the next day drops every hour, sometimes twice an hour. the physical line has been checked many times and has had three BT Engineers visit.

If anyone can assist with the Beta firmware I would be most grateful.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2012 12:20 #73026 by mankey
Replied by mankey on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
Hi guys, I've been reading all the 2850 posts with interest because I've considered buying one. A few years ago (before FTTC) I used a 2600 and was extremely happy with it but having taken on board the grief that some people have experienced here with the 2850 I'm not so sure. I agree that people's time is valuable and they certainly don't want to waste it faffing around with testing firmware.

What's the current view on the 2850's stability? I'm using the maximum 80Mb VDSL service and easily getting 75Mb with the standard BT Infinity hub 2 and I'm considering switching for the sake of functionality, so I'm really beginning to wonder whether changing is worthwhile.

More
26 Jul 2012 17:57 #73053 by mrjolly
Replied by mrjolly on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
@mankey

Check out my post here:
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17346&start=30#p73052

I'd been on ADSL2+ with issues using the Vigor (fixed with RMA and new line profile) and recently switched to fibre, getting the full 80/20 sync with around 75Mb down rates. I was going through the BT supplied modem while the line settled and have now switched over to using the Draytek's built-in VDSL modem and found it to be stable and syncing at same speeds with same results using speedtest.net

More
05 Aug 2012 02:37 #73149 by 10amps
Replied by 10amps on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
First time on the forum tonight, hi to you all

I had a similar resetting problem when i installed a new 2850Vn tonight, it was dropping out and going through the authentication process every 2-3 mins, sometime a bit longer.

I was trying to save the syseventlog to the USB, i was watching the router and saw the read/write light flash on teh USB Stick at the same time when you can hear the click reset. Having turned this off it seems to have sorted the problem (so far) I am using an 8Gb USB Stick in the Router as a readyshare

I hope this might help some of you, who knows. :?:

10amps

More
05 Aug 2012 15:15 #73157 by 10amps
Replied by 10amps on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
Ok, Humble pie eating time, stable for 9 hours, problem now returned. Time for a return. I don't have a month to waste,
Sorry this wasn't a solution
Any one got any other modem-router recommendations? :?:

cheers to all, 10Amps

More
07 Sep 2012 14:26 #73431 by craigweston
Replied by craigweston on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting

Kevan wrote: Working with support we have pinned down the problem to Samba support on the USB disk - turning off Samba stops the reboots. You can still use syslogging to the disk. I have a new level of firmware to test, which is looking promising so far, but I need to give it a few days to prove it has fixed the Samba problem.

I have been having the same problem but got much worse after applying the July firmware. I read through all the posts on this issue then came across this one. When I got home I discovered that at some point I had enabled the Samba option (thought it would be useful - but never used). Anyway I unchecked this option, did no changes any other settings (left of ADSL 2+ G.922.5) and rebooted.

The download speed seems to have to reduced from 18Mb to ~15Mb. I never did have massive numbers of RX CRC errors as some have reported.

So the router has had an up time of 72 hours and raised 108 RX CRC's. Will give it the weekend when we load up with lots of wireless devices connecting at the same time as well as hardwired streaming of children's films. Modern family life!

Thanks for the pointer. I hope that DrayTek finally have found a resolution to the problem, but as a workaround switch off Samba.

Well the weekend has come and gone, and the good news is that the router has stayed up without a hiccup. Plenty of simultaneous activities - downloading, stream, wireless surfing. So now has run without an automatic reboot for 154 hours but the RX CRC's are now up to 473 - is this normal? :P

Moderators: Sami