DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850n constantly rebooting

More
11 Apr 2012 09:07 #71840 by timw
Replied by timw on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
I have to say that once my router was set up correctly with all the VPNs, wireless, port forwarding etc. configured, it stopped rebooting. In the first couple of days it drove me completely mad, but since then it has been fine. I don't use the USB port for anything.

The only problem I have had since it was fully configured was that it some of the port forwarding seemed to stop working and required a deliberate reboot before certain VOIP devices on the LAN would work again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2012 11:59 #71843 by piki
Replied by piki on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
Hi repoman

its interesting as your BT experience sounds v. familiar, I have had 6 Openreach engineers out now - they have rewired the line into my house, fixed a couple broken line issues between my house and the exchange, replaced the cards in the exchange twice (so they say) as they say my port has been completely dead twice now, BT wholesale have just finished several days of work to get me going, and I'm just back up and running again this morning - itll be interesting to see how stable this remains. I haven't had a factory reset on the router for 4 days now - but have not had any BB connection either.

The BB was never this flakey before I plugged the new router in, but thats one of the many coincidences I seem to have had, I was wondering whether the new router exposes a number of underlying issues in the network. I have a new external antenna arriving shortly to allow me to plug in a 3g modem to the router (I can get 6Mb from 3, compared to 1Mb from BT on the landline) so Im hoping the USB coincidences aren't going to cause that to fail as I'm in for a lot of money already to try and get some bandwidth.

Has anyone else used the 2850n with a 3g dongle in the USB port? Is it stable, is the router stable?

More
11 Apr 2012 16:44 #71848 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
I am still talking to DrayTek support as I had a 2710 for a different place which I have up and running today. I can't face the BT Naughty speed step again!! The 2710 is been up since this am apart from a bunch of RX errors seems to be far more stable.
I m beginning to wonder if the modem code for ADSL is flawed in some way as I can't believe I can go through 2 2850s. The latest trick the 2850 gave me was denied access to the Gui or the ability to telnet into it.
DrayTek suggest I reflash the firmware again, I m so reluctant to stick this on my network as it just crashes everything and I have to be watching it to avoid the BT exchange servers reacting to all my reboots.
Interestingly the speed and the attn on the 2710 are different to the 2850 and the sys logs shows the 2850 router asking for a magic number from BT and getting no reply. I m no expert but to me its seems like a modem version bug that is specific to BT ADSL. Unfortunately as not many people will be using the router this way I think DrayTek are unaware.
Maybe everyone with these issues could raise support tickets and we could get them to look into this specifically.

More
12 Apr 2012 19:53 #71868 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
Well the plot thickens, DrayTek support asked me to re-flash the firmware on my 2850vn to a different modem code to the one they flashed it with on the last RMA, well it lasted 2 hours and collapsed re-connected for 2 mins and collapsed after it reconnected again I hadw 1/2 the upload speed, what a disaster. So I m back to the backup 2850 on the 3.361 firmware to see if this is the issue, after 16 mins up it has a bunch of CRC errors far more than the 2710n had over its 30 hours. The borrowed 2710n was up and running for 30 hours without a drop out makes me wonder! I am VERY disappointed with these products if there are no checks on the firmware for the countries they are released in. A big shame IMHO that a company in this economic climate can function like this.

More
12 Apr 2012 23:53 #71876 by comspec
Replied by comspec on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
So it's not just me then.
I have 4 2850n's in different locations with 3 of them having issues.
My issues are not actually clicking and rebooting but losing internet connection for about 30 seconds then comes back. The BB light stays green and doesn't flicker.
Support have had me flashing the router twice with the latest a beta version which makes me think they know something is wrong.
It's not just which IPS that appears to be the issue as the one that works is O2. The other 3 are O2 and BT and they have poor connection issues when I remote into them they keep dropping/losing connection.
I'm literally banging my head against a wall at the moment and the only outcome I can see is to use other manufacturers.

More
13 Apr 2012 08:47 #71877 by kevan
Replied by kevan on topic Re: 2850n constantly rebooting
I have a 2850n and have had frequent reboots with either "DSL_DRV_Init error code: 0" or "DSL_G997_LINEFAILURE_LOS", plus for the past day or so I have lost the web GUI and telnet access to the router. I can't FTP into it either, to check the logs for reboots - I'm logging to a USB connected disk. I'm on the 3.6.1 (2471201) firmware. Did a manual power off/on fix the loss of access for anyone else? I'm reluctant to do that in case I make things worse, at least it's allowing access to the internet at the moment!

Moderators: Sami