Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2860 Rebooting every couple of minutes

• tristandwane
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jan 2014 15:04 #78696 by tristandwane
Vigor 2860 Rebooting every couple of minutes was created by tristandwane
Hi there,

Someones insight on this one would be appreciated.

My 2860 is rebooting every couple of minutes. It is either related to the VDSL connection or PPPoE, when I disable WAN 1, the router no longer reboots.

RE: the DSL settings, I'm aware that the modem will reboot if it wants to fallback to ADSL from VDSL. "2.In DSL auto mode, the router will reboot automatically while switching between VDSL2 and ADSL line mode." so I have DSL Mode: set to "VDSL2 only"

I have syslog setup to see if there are any errors prior to a reboot, the only thing I can identify is a load of messages similar to this in advance of a reboot "<166>Jan 9 14:46:30 DrayTek: WAN1 PPPoE ==> V:1 T:1 PADT ID:35380"

I have switched off Syslog entirely to ensure that it was not putting too much pressure on the router, there was still reboots every couple of minutes.

Are there any logs I can pull directly from the router that might indicate the problem?

It is currently running Firmware version 3.7.3.3 - DSL version - 05-04-08-00-00-06

Has anyone experienced this behavior? Should I go directly to support with this one?

Thanks,

Tristan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2014 17:08 #78699 by deaddox
I had exactly the same issue with VDSL on Sky Fiber.

I have now switched back to using the BT router on WAN2. Unfortunately even thought i have disabled WAN1. Once a day my internet goes down and looking at the router, it shows WAN1 as active and green despite it having no IP address. I suspect the router is mistakenly trying to route traffic to the disconnected WAN1.

The 2860 is the worst Draytek product i have ever used.

• tristandwane
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jan 2014 21:29 #78703 by tristandwane
Replied by tristandwane on topic Re: Vigor 2860 Rebooting every couple of minutes
I did try using the original BB VDSL router in bridged mode connected to WAN2, no luck there, suspect it was the ISP supplied modem rather than the Vigor.

Seemed to have solved the issue-

Factory reset on the front
Install UK latest Firmware 3.7.3
Configured from scratch, did not import a stored config

Looks stable now.

Can't identify what has solved it, but I no longer get a stream of "WAN1 PPPoE ==> V:1 T:1 PADT ID:35380" type messages before a random reboot.

I hope this is of use to others

More
23 Jan 2014 21:56 #78823 by markab
Getting the same issue with WAN1 on 2960 on both FTTC Infinity and ADSL only way around it is to use a separate modem on WAN2, used draytek for years but I think it's now heading for the bin.

More
24 Jan 2014 04:24 #78826 by babis3g

markab wrote: Getting the same issue with WAN1 on 2960 on both FTTC Infinity and ADSL only way around it is to use a separate modem on WAN2, used draytek for years but I think it's now heading for the bin.

if the firmware change did not helped like the previous post i will say to try a different cable from the master socket to the draytek
The reason i am suggesting is because some cables are twisted pair with an RJ11 and the normal RJ11 cables

More
24 Jan 2014 08:41 #78828 by rsb1
I've had a 2860 since July on BT Infinity having had a 2820 previously. I've had no problems until recently - the last week.

There's been no change to the configuration and I'm running 3.7.3. I've tried 3.7.3.3, resetting the router to defaults and re-entering all the settings - nothing has worked. The router is for some reason now being highly unreliable, rebooting randomly.

I don't know if it's related, but prior to this instability it has been syncing at the highest speed it ever has before (had normally hovered around 57meg but now up to 60) which I thought was an improvement. Have BT changed something somewhere? I guess I'll have to try Draytek Support.

Moderators: Sami