DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2860 Rebooting every couple of minutes

More
27 May 2014 23:44 #80151 by mrb2
Thanks - I'll contact UK support.

For ref: since original post of switching off uPNP it has worked flawlessly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2014 19:04 #80259 by pagamble
Interesting.

My 2860n which I've had since September last year was rock solid on 3.7.3 until a week ago.

It is for the home, but had quite a few object / mac based firewall rules to protect family members. I also have VPN on and have had uPNP without issues. I'm on Infinity 2 and had solid 73mbs down, 20mbs up with very little variation.

After many months of no issues at all, our whole village suffered a power cut. It was very clean - power straight off and no flipping on and off. I powered all the house fuses off except lighting to protect things from a burst when it came back on.

Power came back after 90 mins and after 110 mins was stable. I then turned on all the circuit breakers.

Everything came up fine aside from the router. I kept getting multi-ip clashes reported by Fing and indeed various PCs and printers. During this time the router seemed to keep dropping the VDSL line.

I since found that BT were having problems with the street boxes and exchange locally which is probably the main cause of the VDSL line bouncing.

Anyway .. My beautifully stable 2860n was now unstable. I found out 3.7.4.1 was out .. did a config backup, reset the router and loaded 3.7.4.1. Initially I did this with my backup recovered. Almost straight away the router started rebooting several times an hour. When playing with config settings it got to the point that it wouldn't stay up for more than 2 or 3 mins.

Since then I contacted Draytek by phone. Nice guy ... but basically the only really option is to send unit back, they replace the MB and return to me. Without knowing the cause, there is clearly no point in doing this.

BT are coming this weekend because with a supplied HH5 and the Draytek, perf has been between 40mb / 9mb and the now slightly better 60mb / 16mb. It is still clearly not right. I also think it is still dropping on it's own from time to time.

Having rebuilt using Draytek recommended TFTP procedure with their recommended firmware download on 3.7.4.1 again ... things seemed ok. I then did little bits of config, backing up at each stage.

--> rest of entry in next post

Paul ....

More
06 Jun 2014 19:06 #80260 by pagamble
Rest of entry ...

I have four -

1st is router with no config except VDSL to get on line and a single SSID.
2nd is with all my 40 odd devices defined as IP objects with MAC addresses and groups for Infra, Adult, Family, Media devices, Readers
3rd is with VPN, DynDNS, CSM policies but no FW rules defined
4th is the full config with all MAC level group rules against CSM policy (inc WCF)

I have had uPNP under 3.7.3 without issues - but not active in above config. Also .. I have WHS (MediaSmart) but not Flexmedia stuff on network.

As soon as I got the 4th completed it started rebooting constantly ... rarely more than 10 minutes.

I've now gone back to 3rd - i.e. no extra FW rules beyond defaults. It's more stable, but won't stay up more than perhaps 15 minutes.

I think this can't be hardware as it is ok with the same config under 3.7.3. To me, this is an instability under 3.7.4.1 relating to one or more config items. I think it also doesn't like it if VDSL goes down under 3.7.4.1. That always causes a reboot, but under 3.7.3, it never did.

Desperate to sort this and not inclined to send off router for replacement MB as that almost certainly won't help.

Any thoughts, do let me know.

Paul.

More
07 Jun 2014 16:42 #80261 by pagamble
BT came this morning. They reset the DSLAM and perf is back up to circa 73/19 which is ok.
I had done a TFTP flash of 3.7.3.3 which is slightly later than the 3.7.3 I had been using that was stable.
I have my 3rd config restored .. and applied just a single FW rule for the Children group of MAC addresses with app and WCF policy.

Early days .. but appears to be stable .. 5 hrs 32 mins no line drops or resets.

This would suggest that 3.7.4.1 is basically just very unstable. I suspect multiple different combinations of configs / FW rules can cause a panic and therefore a reboot. As everyone's environment is different .. It might be hard to determine exactly what the different panic scenarios are. What I can confirm is that this isn't isolated to people using Plex / uPNP as I don't.

Paul

More
07 Jul 2014 23:54 #80605 by mrbeardyman
Replied by mrbeardyman on topic Re: Vigor 2860 Rebooting every couple of minutes
So please i found this thread - I'm another one with Plex and a 2860 (n Plus - had it all of 6 hours) that was rebooting constantly when using VDSL.

With the BT modem in the mix it worked fine, but directly on VDSL I could not get more than a few minutes of uptime. Disabling uPnP has kept it stable for the last hour so that is considerable progress.

Looking forward to a fix, uPnP would be useful.

More
08 Jul 2014 00:21 #80606 by babis3g
There is a beta here 3.7.4.2
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19313&p=80509#p80509
not sure if it fix upnp issue

Moderators: Sami