DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal

More
28 Sep 2010 15:17 #63995 by s4vva
Replied by s4vva on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
Just wanted to put this one to bed;

As you all know I have tested several routers with the PPPoE connection and couldn't get the SS to work. I have since ordered a secondary PPPoA connection, same routers, same settings and the SS works.

I would say that is quite conclusive that the SS does not like PPPoE.

And for anyone that is interested I tested Linksys, Netgear and Draytek (2800 & 2820) routers. Currently running a Draytek 2820 with both connections (load balanced) with the SS only using the PPPoA connection. Life is good now, shame Vodafone support isn't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2011 12:04 #65657 by rural_signal
Replied by rural_signal on topic Vodafone Sure Signal and PPoE
Hi

I have the following configuration:
Vigor 120 ADSL modem to my ISP using PPoA
Apple Time Capsule (basically Airport Airport Extreme + back up drive) PPoE client
Vodafone Sure Signal (VSS)

Situation
I can't get the VSS to work on this configuration. The VSS worked fine on my old 'b' standard modem / router D-link 604+ which uses PPoA. All strings on Vodafone support indicate that VSS does not support PPoE.
Problem
My Vigor 120 has only has 1 port to connect the Apple Airport router, so I have to plus the VSS into the Apple box. The VSS does not work.

Potential fix?
I've read somewhere that this might work using port forwarding and the TCP and UDP settings are posted on the web.

I bought the Vigor 120 as it acts as a true ADSL modem with an Ethernet connection providing a PPPoE to PPPoA bridge, the connected device (Apple Airport router) can log into the Internet (your ISP) directly and have full control over the ADSL connection. So although the Apple Airportâ„¢ but the actual connection to your ISP is still PPPoA.

Question?
If I try to set this up on the Apple router do I need to set port forwarding up on the Vigor 120 and if so how do I do it?

Many thanks
Grant (2 bars on my phone!) :(

Grant

More
14 Jan 2011 15:59 #65667 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
Grant,

It isn't going to work I'm afraid. The airport to 120 is using PPPoE, that's enough (just the one link) to screw the sure signal.

I had to replace my 120 with a dsl router in bridge mode to get the suresignal to work.

More
14 Jan 2011 16:23 #65668 by rural_signal
Replied by rural_signal on topic Thanks - alternative Draytek router?
Thanks for the quick reply - this will save me more heartache and frustration from my attempts to get this to work.

Another thought - is there a Draytek ADSL modem that offers additional ports and if I bought it (offseting the cost by eBaying the old one) would it work?

Thanks again

Grant

Grant

More
14 Jan 2011 17:26 #65669 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
I would think the simplest solution for you would be to replace the airport and the draytek 120 with a single wifi adsl router, be that a draytek one or any other make.
I've never used an aiport so I'm unsure how else this can connect to an dsl modem or router in bridge mode.
My setup was complicated by me having a block of 8 ip addresses that I needed to get to my draytek 2955, so an adsl router in brigde mode was my only (i think) option and the configuration was a right pig :)

More
14 Jan 2011 19:14 #65673 by wilsodg
Replied by wilsodg on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
Don't waste your time trying to make it work with a 120 - if you can return it for a refund I'd do that and buy a different make of modem. If your setup is simple then a D-Link or similar will work (I'm using an old DSL-320), or (as drewy suggests) just buy a combined wifi router/modem. Draytek ones will work so long as you don't fall back to PPPoE.

The only issue is if you have two ADSL lines (you don't indicate this) or if you have fixed IP addresses and subnet allocated by your ISP (like BT Business service) - in which case your equipment options start to become limited.

It's a shame that Draytek and Vodafone don't seem able to sort this issue between them. Vodafone told me they'd be happy to take a call from Draytek and work with them to fix it, but Draytek don't seem to want to dial the number...

Good luck.

Moderators: ChrisSami