DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal

More
14 Jan 2011 19:50 #65674 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
Perosnally I don't believe the problem is as much Draytek's (and believe me I am no fan boy!) as vodafones.
I have tried the sure signal with other dsl modems operating in PPPoE and they don't work either.
The problem seems to be related to the sure signals use of a MTU larger than PPPoE can handle. I do manage to get the sure signal to work with a modem using PPPoE if it initates the connection over a non-PPPoE link and I quickly swap them. And providing it has setup it's link (as I currently have it configured) and my dsl WAN connection drops, it will failover to WAN2 which is a Three 3g modem, which is kind of cool :) but if the sure signal resets no way will it setup a new connection over the Three 3g connection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2011 15:20 #65683 by rural_signal
Replied by rural_signal on topic Thanks - final solution
Thanks for all your posts. I'm not fan of any manufacturer who doesn't make it clear what the requirements are up front - sorry Vodafone.

There are no real tech specs on what the Sure Signal needs (other than broadband speed). PPPoA and PPPoE are both recognised standards - it's just that PPPoA is the only standard the Sure Signal supports. I've asked Vodafone if they plan to support PPPoE in the future (no reply as yet).

Having thought about this down the local pub, I use my 3G mobile phone a couple days a week when I work from home, whereas I and the family use the internet 7 days a week. So on balance it's really no contest as the Vigor 120 / Apple Airport combination has boosted my connection from 2.5Mb to 3.5Mb. This may be nothing to urban dwellers, but in my village I'm king of the hill!

So given the Sure Signal and Vigor 120 are a similar price (£50) I reckon with no fix forthcoming it will be the Sure Signal on eBay.

Thanks again.

Grant

More
18 Jan 2011 18:36 #65724 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
This is what I have discovered about the use of the SureSignal.

Vodafone support is non existent. They don't know their arse from their elbow.

The SS will NOT work when a Vigor 100/120 is in the way. It is not PPPoE specifically since there are reports of successful operation of the SS over PPPoE with a different modem/router.

I found the SS worked perfectly with a Vigor 2820 (over WAN1) with no additional setup.

I know of other users with similar success with Vigor 27xx.

All the discussion about opening ports in the router is a total red herring. That only refers to a firewall and is nothing to do with NAT since the SS makes the connection from inside the LAN and sets up the VPN. So there is no connection being attempted from outside, on the Internet, so NAT doesn't need any ports open. A firewall is a different matter.

Plenty of other routers cause problems with the SS.

Vodafone are useless (did I already say that:-)

More
23 Jan 2011 08:31 #65805 by dannyboy1121
Replied by dannyboy1121 on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
Just a quick note on this.

I'm using a 2710Vn so not exactly the same router but still. I had terrible problems getting sure signal up and running behind my router - stability was awful.

Surprisingly - the fix for me was to run old firmware. I'm currently on 3.3.2 which is two or three releases behind. As soon as I put that firmware on - no config changes - my sure signal kicked in to life and remained stable. If I pop on anything after that - forget it.

Dan

More
24 Jan 2011 14:32 #65822 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal

dannyboy1121 wrote: Just a quick note on this.
Surprisingly - the fix for me was to run old firmware. I'm currently on 3.3.2 which is two or three releases behind. As soon as I put that firmware on - no config changes - my sure signal kicked in to life and remained stable. If I pop on anything after that - forget it.

That is very significant information. I would really like to know what Draytek have to say about that.

More
25 Jan 2011 08:59 #65832 by dannyboy1121
Replied by dannyboy1121 on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
I'm curious to see if it works on your model as well?

Dan

Moderators: ChrisSami