DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal

More
25 Jan 2011 13:49 #65842 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal

dannyboy1121 wrote: I'm curious to see if it works on your model as well?

Well, the truth is that when I first connected and powered the Sure Signal it started flashing its lights as it should and soon it was all up and running and providing a great signal. But 6 months later, about a month ago I noticed the SS light flashing in a way that told me it couldn't connect. I contacted Vodafone who did something at their end, told me to wait an hour or so and it should be ok, which it was - but for only a few days. Subsequent calls to Vodafone have been fruitless since they have no idea what was done that first time. Since then I've had 2 SS replacements and neither of them worked.

However, during this time I also noticed that my BroadBand speed was only running at 30% of normal and narrowed it down to being the fault of the Vigor and realised that the only change had been a firmware update from 3.3.3 (I think) to 3.3.4.1. I have just updated to 3.3.5.1 and the download speed has immediately returned to normal, IOW more than 3 times what was possible with the 3.3.4.1 firmware.

So, I've just turned on the SS and am waiting to see if it connects. Which then leads to my next source of puzzlement. Why does the SS take so long? It can take several hours even when it's ultimately successful, but why? How long can it take to set up a VPN connection. If they always took this long no-one would be able to use them for secure business connections over the 'Net. The fact is, they don't take that long, so what on earth is the SS doing that takes so long to get the connection set up?

So I'm still waiting, watching the lights flash. Watch this space.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2011 16:11 #65848 by johnsc
Replied by johnsc on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
If it helps:

I have SS success ( 3 months) with the following setting on a Draytek 2820Vn on 3.3.3. firmware ( also worked on 3.3.4.1 but had to revert due to unrelated Gigaset VOIP/SIP issues)

Bind IP to Mac of SS
Open Ports on SS LAN IP as follows:
TCP 8
TCP 50
UDP 123
UDP 500
UDP 4500

UpnP is on but not other options.

Under Firewall untick UDP Flood Defense. [ I have to have this unticked for my laptop Cisco VPN client to maintain large file transfers even when Lotus Notes e-mail is ok). May be same issues with packets on the SS VPN

ICMP is also unticked for some reason but maybe you could try restoring later once you have SS stable.

No other settings were changed. For sure you have to wait days for SS to register but then it should be 1-2 hours if you have to power up again.

Hope this helps some folks.

More
25 Jan 2011 17:29 #65850 by ukengb
Opening ports would only be required to get through a Firewall that otherwise would block the packets and therefore be highly dependent on the type and configuration of the Firewall. It is NOT necessary to open up the ports through the NAT since the connections are initiated from inside the LAN. IOW, if you don't have any Firewall operating on the router, you don't need to worry about opening ports.

I ran SS through the 2820 for 6 months and made NO adjustments to its configuration. However, it is of course possible that Draytek have since done something horrid with their firmware which they did of course with 3.3.4.1. I'm still waiting to see if the SS will work with 3.3.5.1

More
27 Jan 2011 17:16 #65918 by stuarthatto
Replied by stuarthatto on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
SS working fine for me with my 2820. But I did something a little differently

IP bind to MAC
set that IP as DMZ host

works like a charm, IPsec VPN to Vodafone created in seconds, not hours.

Since this SS doesn't even have an interactive interface of any kind and it can't be pinged... I am happy to face the security non-issue.

Stu

More
27 Jan 2011 17:38 #65921 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic Vigor 2800 VG & Vodafone Sure Signal
Stu,

You may want to re-think that. I did the same once and soon discovered nat sessions from various non-vodafone ip's attempting to connect to the sure signal. At the very least put it on its own vlan, then if it does get hit the rest of your network has a little protecttion from it.

More
28 Jan 2011 11:30 #65949 by ukengb
Since updating the 2820 to 3.3.5.1 and recovering my original download speed, everything has been running hunky dory - except the SureSignal.

It's been a couple of days now and the lights are still blinking so it can't set up the VPN. Time to call Vodafone, sigh:-(

Moderators: ChrisSami