DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning

More
25 Jul 2010 11:29 #19 by jchamier
Replied by jchamier on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning
When I upgraded my 2828Vn with 3.3.4 everything wired was ok, but wireless unusable.

My office supplied ThinkPad T400 could not connect, nor could my personal iPhone, or the PS3.

Reverted to 3.3.3 and everything back to normal.

Not good.

Vigor2820Vn - BT Infinity 2 - Download: 45 megabit/sec - Upload: 8 megabit/sec

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2010 11:54 #20 by linker3000
Replied by linker3000 on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning
has any had discussions with Draytek about this and have they suggested a likely date for a new release?

FWIW I'm still running 3.3.3_232201.

More
25 Jul 2010 16:08 #21 by weehappypixie
Replied by weehappypixie on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning
Well after talking with support who are aware of these issues I tried going back to 3.3.3 which cured some problems but caused others.

One thing they did mention is that if you upgrade to 3.3.4 and then use a 3.3.3 config file it can cause problems.

They suggested using the 3.3.4 rst firmware which will default the router to factory settings. After this manually enter all the config settings from scratch and save them. Don't import the 3.3.3 config file or it will corrupt.

So far I have had no problems and everything has been rock solid now for 4 days.

Will feed back more when I have it.

John

More
25 Jul 2010 16:52 #22 by mike4ql
Replied by mike4ql on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning

WeeHappyPixie wrote: One thing they did mention is that if you upgrade to 3.3.4 and then use a 3.3.3 config file it can cause problems.

They suggested using the 3.3.4 rst firmware which will default the router to factory settings. After this manually enter all the config settings from scratch and save them. Don't import the 3.3.3 config file or it will corrupt.

Am I alone in finding Draytek's response unacceptable? A factory reset means a site visit which for one of my sites would take all day including a ferry crossing. What's the point in taking config backups if you then can't use them? On top of that re-entering the configuration manually has a greater risk of error. It might be cheaper to use Cisco. :shock:

Surely it is not beyond their capabilities to fix this without needing a factory reset?

Mike

Mike Robertson, 4QL Ltd.

More
27 Jul 2010 12:08 #23 by northerngit
Replied by northerngit on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning

Mike4ql wrote: Am I alone in finding Draytek's response unacceptable? A factory reset means a site visit which for one of my sites would take all day including a ferry crossing. What's the point in taking config backups if you then can't use them? On top of that re-entering the configuration manually has a greater risk of error. It might be cheaper to use Cisco. :shock:

Surely it is not beyond their capabilities to fix this without needing a factory reset?

Mike

I wouldn't waste your time. I have an ongoing support ticket raised with Draytek. The issue is currently with the engineering team after prolonged diagnosis... I tried resetting to factory defaults and re-entering all configuration options across our estate of Drayteks. It made absolutely no difference on 3 of the 5. The other 2 are not heavily used - so I hesitate to say they are working.

Your milage may vary. 3.3.4 is a disgrace. Much as I'm coming to expect from Draytek 2820 firmware releases since 3.1

With regard cheaper options - we are evaluating not only the cost of the firmware upgrade process, but diagnosis for weeks afterwards that inevitably occurs. Removed functionality etc. TCO, even with the cheaper up front cost is now becoming an issue.

I never had any issues for years with the trusty Vigor2600Plus series…

James

More
27 Jul 2010 13:20 #24 by dean.mac
Replied by dean.mac on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning

northerngit wrote:

Mike4ql wrote: Am I alone in finding Draytek's response unacceptable? A factory reset means a site visit which for one of my sites would take all day including a ferry crossing. What's the point in taking config backups if you then can't use them? On top of that re-entering the configuration manually has a greater risk of error. It might be cheaper to use Cisco. :shock:

Mike

I wouldn't waste your time. I have an ongoing support ticket raised with Draytek. The issue is currently with the engineering team after prolonged diagnosis... I tried resetting to factory defaults and re-entering all configuration options across our estate of Drayteks. It made absolutely no difference on 3 of the 5. The other 2 are not heavily used - so I hesitate to say they are working.

Your milage may vary. 3.3.4 is a disgrace. Much as I'm coming to expect from Draytek 2820 firmware releases since 3.1

With regard cheaper options - we are evaluating not only the cost of the firmware upgrade process, but diagnosis for weeks afterwards that inevitably occurs. Removed functionality etc. TCO, even with the cheaper up front cost is now becoming an issue.

I never had any issues for years with the trusty Vigor2600Plus series…

James

This is disappointing as i have been using a Netgear DGFV338 for years with no trouble decided to go for the 2820Vn as it has VOIP built in and has the wireless n. I thought Draytek had the best adsl routers, how wrong i could have been.

By the way i have got my 2820Vn back to 3.3.3 and it seems ok now.

Moderators: ChrisSami