DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning

More
15 Aug 2010 03:28 #31 by groov
Replied by groov on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning
I find it quite amazing that after 3 months or so the broken firmware is still available as official download and that no announcement has been made by Draytek regarding the obvious problem that so many of us are having

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2010 11:42 #32 by laughingjon
Replied by laughingjon on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning
just wanted to say, i have been having the DHCP / MAC binding problem. i thought i had done something wrong as rebooting the router seemed to fix it. i will go back to 3.3.3 now i have read this thread. thanks for the heads up all.

More
19 Aug 2010 17:09 #33 by fabwhack
Replied by fabwhack on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning
Add my name to the "3.3.4 broke my 2820Vn" list. Had to fire up an old analogue connection to download 3.3.3 again; 3.3.4 resulted in the reboot loop. Not impressed.

More
26 Aug 2010 22:30 #34 by mwalsh
Replied by mwalsh on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning
I too have had problems with the 3.3.4 firmware on a 2820Vn, upgrading from 3.3.0 the upgrade via the web admin seemed to go through fine. The last I saw of it working was the message to say it was going to re-boot.

I now can't even ping it so I'm struggling to get it reverted, when it starts up it just sits there will all of the 9 LEDs lit solidly. I can get it into TFTP mode by holding down the factory reset so the 3 LEDs on the left flash quickly but I'm yet to get the firmware onto the device.

A factory reset doesn't seem to do anything so I've tried manually assigning the IP address to the computer and connecting it directly but still with no success. I've tried various IP subnets as I'm not sure if it has still retained the original settings or reset them to the factory defaults.

I spent 3 hours in the office this evening trying to get it sorted. I'll be up again at 5am to see if I can fix it before all hell breaks loose at 9am when we don't have internet access. Nice one Draytek!

This is the second time I've ended up bricking the router when upgrading the firmware. They really need to sort this out as it's beyond a joke.

More
27 Aug 2010 07:59 #35 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning
Once the router has been reset to the default the IP address will be 192.168.1.1.
You'l need a PC with an IP address in this subnet such as 192.168.1.10.

You will need to download the TFTP untility from Draytek (or the latest version of thr router tools which includes it) and ensure you have a copy of the 3.3.3.rst firmware file.

Fire up the firmware update tool/TFTP enter 192.168.1.1 as the router address, point it to the firware file. Power on the router while holding down the reset button until the lights stop flashing then click send/update.
After a couple of minutes the router should reboot normally. At this point you can log in via the normal admin page, remember still default IP address and no admin password.

Finally re-apply your backup config, reboot and you should be back up and running, rembering to change back the PC used to restore the firmware to DHCP if using, otherwise reseting to it's normal IP address.

Please rembember to log this as a problem with Draytek, hopefully we'll then get a solution.

More
27 Aug 2010 14:59 #36 by mwalsh
Replied by mwalsh on topic Vigor2820Vn Firmware 3.3.4 upgrade warning
Thanks for the reply e.ringrose.

I came back at the problem this morning and using another laptop and the TFTP utility I downloaded at home I had success first time around. I was trying the same approach using the Firmware Upgrade Utility but with no luck.

Restoring my config file also worked so I was pleased with that.

What do I need to do to log this with Draytek?

Hopefully someone checks the forum so this thread should be of interest to them.

Moderators: ChrisSami